The ITU Development programme strives to ensure that athletes receive a consistently positive experience in the sport by recognizing and supporting global coach education, mentoring (coach and athlete), and athlete development programmes.
ITU has initiated several projects to achieve this goal. These projects and other useful information are outlined below.
- Team ITU Elite Athlete Development programme (EADP)
- ITU Triathlon Development Camps
- ITU Scholarship programme
1. Team ITU Elite Athlete Development Programme
“You must realize one thing. In every little village in the world there are great potential champions who only need motivation, development and good exercise evaluation.”
Each year, there will be three designated Team ITU Elite Athlete Development events with five places for women and five for men.
Following a successful application by a National Federation, chosen athletes will be able to attend the events with their national federation coach giving them vital experience at ITU Triathlon World Cup level.
The inaugural Team ITU Elite Athlete Development programme took place at the Beijing ITU Triathlon World Cup on 24 September 2006. Four female athletes attended from Sweden, Bermuda and South Africa.
2. ITU Triathlon Development Camps
Each year there will be five eight-day camps in Africa, Asia, Pan America, Oceania and Europe, as well as one World Camp. Up to 40 developing athletes aged between 15 and 23, selected by the ITU and the relevant national federation, will benefit from coaching from international coaches who will be supported by coaching assistants. These assistants will themselves be developing coaching skills to take back to their home nation. The first ITU Triathlon World Camp took place in Hungary in August 2006, it was attended by 31 athletes from 14 different countries.
3. ITU Scholarship Programme
The primary objective of the scholarship programme is to identify and provide support, resources and expertise to athletes from emerging/developing National Federations to compete at World Cup, World Championship and Olympic level.
The primary objectives are:
- To increase the number of NF’s and athletes coming from emerging/developing NF’s competing at Continental Championships and ITU World Championships at U23 and Elite level.
- To increase the number of female athletes from emerging/developing NF’s represented at Continental Championships and ITU World Championships at U23 and Elite level.
- 2017 Lausanne ITU Technical Officials And Event Organisers Level 2 Seminar Switzerland • 17 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Brasilia ITU Technical Officials And Event Organisers Level 2 Seminar Level 2 Seminar Brazil • 17 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Budapest ITU Technical Officials Level 3 Seminar Hungary • 09 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Santo Domingo ITU Technical Officials Level 1 Seminar Dominican Republic • 09 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Bucharest ITU Technical Officials And Event Organisers Level 2 Seminar Romania • 20 Oct, 2017