Goal of project
The primary objective of this project is to provide support, resources and expertise to athletes from emerging/developing National Federations with the potential to compete at a World Cup level and to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. At the same time increase the number of coaches from emerging/developing National Federations gaining experience in the preparation and support of athletes competing at a World Cup level.
- Emerging/Developing National Federations are invited to submit applications.
- Applications for athletes with the potential to qualify and compete at Tokyo 2020 OG that have already proven themselves at an ITU Elite, U23, Junior World Championship, World Cup or Continental Championships/Cup level will be favoured.
- Seven (7) World Cup events have been named as the Team ITU events in 2017. Two World Cup events in Asia and in America determined as joint project.
- At each of these events a coaching and physiotherapy support will be on hand for the athletes selected.
- The group will be accommodated as a ‘team’ and supported as such pre, during and post event.
- Gender Equality and Geographic Distribution will be considered in the selection for each project.
The target group will be athletes from emerging/developing National Federations who have already shown a high level of competence in World Cup and/or Continental Cup events and are looking to qualify for Tokyo 2020 but need support in order to do so.Please note: applicant athletes must be born in 1990 or later
- Athletes must have at least two results from Continental Cup events finishing in the past 12 months.
- Athletes must be registered with their National Federations and have shown the ability to race at a high level.
- The athletes nominated should be committed to competing in the long term and have the Olympic Games as an ultimate objective.
- While there will be maximum of ten (10) slots available at each event, athletes will be selected at the discretion of the ITU Development and in some cases not all the slots or more slots will be filled.
- Athletes from the continent where the WC is taking place are in favour.
- Athletes should be connected with the Continental Development Projects.
- Coaching support: the coach applicant should belong to a developing nation and his/her athlete should be selected for the Team ITU. Only one (1) coach spot will be available for each project.
Applications must be submitted in writing to ITU Development and each applicant must also be entered by their National Federation for the respective World Cup events with ITU via the online entry method by the closing date for entry for the specific event they are applying for. If the National Federation misses to register their applicant athlete on time, ITU Development will not consider the application.
A National Federation may nominate no more than two (2) male and two (2) females. If more than one nominated by gender, the list of nomination has to be in preference order.
|Designated Event||Distance||World Cup Date||Application Deadline|
|2017 Chengdu ITU Triathlon World Cup||Super Sprint||6-7 May 2017||13th March 2017|
|2017 Madrid ITU Triathlon World Cup||Standard||27-28 May 2017||3rd April 2017|
|2017 Tiszaujvaros ITU Triathlon World Cup||Super Sprint||22-23 July 2017||5th June 2017|
|2017 Salinas ITU Triathlon World Cup*||Standard||28-29 October 2017||18th September 2017|
|2017 Tongyeong ITU Triathlon World Cup**||Sprint||28-29 October 2017||18th September 2017|
|2017 Buenos Aires ITU Triathlon World Cup*||Sprint||4-5 November 2017||18th September 2017|
|2017 Miyazaki ITU Triathlon World Cup**||Standard||4-5 November 2017||18th September 2017|
*Joint project including both World Cups in America
**Joint project including both World Cups in Asia
Joint project: applicants should apply for both events. Successful applicants will compete on both events and will be provided with support for an extended time period.
A Panel composed by ITU Sport Department, Development and HP coaches will decide on the selected athletes based on the project description (outline and qualification criteria) for the project within 2 weeks after the application deadline and all applicant NFs will be informed accordingly.
All athletes selected will be funded as follows:
- Hotel accommodation (on a shared basis) for a maximum of 5 days, for joint project for maximum of 12 days,
- Meals – 3 per day (or a meal stipend),
- Travel stipend,
- Coaching and physiotherapy support.
Successful coach applicant’s accommodation with full board will be covered and provided with the Team. No travel stipend available for coach applicant.
PLEASE NOTE: A travel stipend between 250 USD and $750 USD will be provided to each Team ITU member per event/per joint project. Please note the maximum stipend is 750 USD/ ITU Team Member/project or the maximum 60% of the full flight fare.
The athletes selected will be tracked over the year to determine their progress and feedback sheets will be completed by the head coach of the certain project after each event.
- 2017 Lausanne ITU Technical Officials And Event Organisers Level 2 Seminar Switzerland • 17 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Brasilia ITU Technical Officials And Event Organisers Level 2 Seminar Level 2 Seminar Brazil • 17 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Budapest ITU Technical Officials Level 3 Seminar Hungary • 09 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Santo Domingo ITU Technical Officials Level 1 Seminar Dominican Republic • 09 Nov, 2017
- 2017 Bucharest ITU Technical Officials And Event Organisers Level 2 Seminar Romania • 20 Oct, 2017