The ITU Development programme strives to ensure that athletes receive a consistently positive experience in the sport by recognizing and supporting global coach education, mentoring (coach and athlete), and athlete development programmes.
ITU has initiated several projects to achieve this goal. These projects and other useful information are outlined below.
- ASICS World Triathlon Team - ITU Elite Athlete Development programme (EADP)
- ITU Triathlon Development Camps
- ITU Scholarship programme
1. ASICS World Triathlon Team - Elite Athlete Development Programme
“You must realize one thing. In every little village in the world there are great potential champions who only need motivation, development and good exercise evaluation.”
Each year, there will be four-six designated ASICS World Triathlon Team - ITU Elite Athlete Development events with five places for women and five for men.
Following a successful application by a National Federation, chosen athletes will be able to attend the events giving them vital experience at ITU Triathlon World Cup level.
The inaugural Team ITU Elite Athlete Development programme took place at the Beijing ITU Triathlon World Cup on 24 September 2006. Four female athletes attended from Sweden, Bermuda and South Africa.
2. ITU Triathlon Development Camps
Each year there will be five eight-day camps in Africa, Asia, America, Oceania and Europe, as well as one World Camp. Up to 40 developing athletes aged between 15 and 23, selected by the ITU and the relevant National Federation, will benefit from coaching from international coaches who will be supported by coaching assistants. These assistants will themselves be developing coaching skills to take back to their home nation. The first ITU Triathlon World Camp took place in Hungary in August 2006, it was attended by 31 athletes from 14 different countries.
3. ITU Scholarship Programme
The primary objective of the scholarship programme is to identify and provide support, resources and expertise to athletes from emerging/developing National Federations to compete at World Cup, World Championship and Olympic level.
The primary objectives are:
- To increase the number of NF’s and athletes coming from emerging/developing NF’s competing at Continental Championships and at the World Triathlon Grand Final (ITU World Championships) at U23 and Elite level.
- To increase the number of female athletes from emerging/developing NF’s represented at Continental Championships and at the World Triathlon Grand Final (ITU World Championships) at U23 and Elite level.
- 2018 Harare ITU Technical Officials Level 1 Seminar Zimbabwe • 15 Dec, 2018
- 2018 Kribi ITU Activator Community Seminar Cameroon • 12 Dec, 2018
- 2018 Tokyo ITU Technical Officials and Event Organizers Level 2 Seminar Japan • 23 Nov, 2018
- 2018 Santo Domingo CAMTRI - ITU Development Continental Camp Dominican Republic • 09 Nov, 2018
- 2018 Incheon KTF-ITU Coaches Level 1 Course Korea, South • 07 Nov, 2018
2018 ASICS World Triathlon Team - Astana World Cup02 Jul, 2018
Team Asics Huatulco02 Jul, 2018
Richard Varga offers some tips on swimming28 Jun, 2017
Fernando Alarza cooks with chef Javier Olleros25 May, 2017