Goal of project
The primary objective of this project is to provide support, resources and expertise to athletes from emerging/developing National Federations with the potential to compete at a World Cup level and to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. At the same time increase the number of coaches from emerging/developing National Federations gaining experience in the preparation and support of athletes competing at a World Cup level. ITU Development is also looking after young talents facilitating their athlete career from junior to elite with aiming the 2024 Paris Olympic Games and beyond.
• Emerging/Developing National Federations are invited to submit applications.
• Applications for athletes with the potential to qualify and compete at Tokyo 2020 OG that have already proven themselves at an ITU Elite, U23, Junior World Championship, World Cup or Continental Championships/Cup level will be favoured.
• Five (5) World Cup events have been named as the ASICS World Triathlon Team events in 2018.
• At each of these events a coaching and physiotherapy support will be on hand for the athletes selected.
• The group will be accommodated as a ‘team’ and supported as such pre, during and post event.
• Gender Equality and Geographic Distribution will be considered in the selection for each project.
• Additional to the application process ITU Development may invite athletes for each project in agreement with the respective National Federation.
The target group will be athletes from emerging/developing National Federations who have already shown a high level of competence in World Cup and/or Continental Cup events and are looking to qualify for Tokyo 2020 but need support in order to do so. Please note: applicant athletes must be born in 1990 or later.
• Athletes must born in 1990 or later.
• Athletes must have at least two results (finishing in the first 66%) from Continental Cup events finishing in the past 12 months.
• Athletes must be registered with their National Federations and have shown the ability to race at a high level.
• The athletes nominated should be committed to competing in the long term and have the Olympic Games as an ultimate objective.
• While there will be maximum of ten (10) slots available at each event, athletes will be selected at the discretion of the ITU Development and in some cases not all the slots or more slots will be filled.
• Athletes from the continent where the WC is taking place are in favour.
• Athletes should be connected with the Continental Development Projects too.
• Injured or ill athletes are not accepted for the project. It has to be reported immediately to ITU Development in case of selected athlete after the selection.
• Coaching support: the coach applicant should belong to a developing nation and his/her athlete should be selected for the ASICS World Triathlon Team. Only one (1) coach spot will be available for each project.
Applications must be submitted in writing to ITU Development and each applicant must also be entered by their National Federation for the respective World Cup event with ITU via the online entry method by the closing date for entry for the specific event they are applying for. If the National Federation misses to register their applicant athlete(s) on time, ITU Development will not consider the application.
A National Federation may nominate no more than two (2) male and two (2) females. If more than one nominated by gender, the list of nomination has to be in preference order.
Selected World Cups
2018 Astana ITU Triathlon World Cup (Kazakhstan). Standard distance. Application deadline 26th March
2018 Cagliari ITU Triathlon World Cup (Italy). Sprint distance. Application deadline. 15th April
2018 Huatulco ITU Triathlon World Cup (Mexico). Sprint distance. Application deadline. 15th April
2018 Salinas ITU Triathlon World Cup (Ecuador). Sprint distance. Application deadline. 3rd September.
2018 Tongyeong ITU Triathlon World Cup (South Korea). Sprint distance. Application deadline. 3rd September
A Panel composed by ITU Sport Department, ITU Development and project Head Coach will decide on the selected athletes based on the project description (outline and qualification criteria) for the project within 2 weeks after the application deadline and all applicant NFs will be informed accordingly.
All athletes selected will be funded as follows:
1. Hotel accommodation (on a shared basis) for a maximum of 5 days,
2. Meals – 3 per day (or a meal stipend),
3. Travel stipend,
4. Coaching, physiotherapy and bike mechanic support.
Successful coach applicant’s accommodation with full board will be covered and provided with the Team. No travel stipend available for coach applicant.
PLEASE NOTE: A travel stipend between 250 USD and $750 USD will be provided to each ASICS World Triathlon Team member per event. Please note the maximum stipend is 750 USD/ ASICS World Triathlon Team Member/project or the maximum 60% of the full flight fare.
The athletes selected will be tracked over the year to determine their progress and feedback sheets will be completed by the head coach of the certain project after each event.
Please complete relevant application form and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before due dates. Please download the form from here.
For more information on the ASICS World Triathlon Team project, please contact Zita Csovelyak, Senior Manager – ITU Development at email@example.com.