The ITU coach development pathway is the ITU model for coach education course delivery. It is designed to be flexible enough to meet the demands of coaches from a novice level to senior coach level, in a variety of different coaching contexts; ranging from participation to performance domains; and from environments where Triathlon is in its infancy to well established and highly effective National Federations.
The pathway provides for four stages of development, from Activator through to Level 3 coach. Many organisations seek to separate out different coaching domains (e.g. Performance, Participation, Children) into different coaching courses and separate pathways. The reality of constrained resources and coaches working in multiple areas suggests a more appropriate way is to deliver formal coach education courses which give coaches a progressive set of skills and knowledge which are fundamental to any area of coaching, so that they can work in whichever domain they want and provide quality coaching experiences.
These skills build over the progressive courses to develop coaches who are:
- reflective and self-aware;
- self-motivated and self-learners;
- embrace challenges;
- actively seek knowledge and open to different ideas;
- work effectively through sharing and collaboration;
- develop new approaches to coaching issues;
- and fundamentally have a positive effect as a coach.
These skills are not easily achieved and need to be built over a long period of time. The nature of the ITU coaching courses reflects this, and it should be evident that the structure and nature of each course builds upon but is different from its predecessor. The pathway overview document describes the key differences between the course for coaches and NFs, to enable them to ascertain the best way to interact with the courses.
- 2018 Incheon KTF-ITU Coaches Level 2 Course Korea, South • 07 Nov, 2018
- 2018 Hong Kong ITU Technical Officials Level 3 Seminar Hong Kong • 02 Nov, 2018
- 2018 Incheon KTF-ITU Coaches Level 1 Course Korea, South • 01 Nov, 2018
- 2018 Funchal ITU Paratriathlon Technical Officials E-learning Course Portugal • 26 Oct, 2018
- 2018 Mexico City ITU Technical Officials Level 3 Seminar Mexico • 26 Oct, 2018
Richard Varga offers some tips on swimming28 Jun, 2017
Fernando Alarza cooks with chef Javier Olleros25 May, 2017
The growth of triathlon12 May, 2017
ITU Coaching Education13 Mar, 2017