ITU Board Member Debra Alexander, running for the IPC Governing Board
The International Triathlon Union (ITU) is pleased to announce that Executive Board member, Debra Alexander, is running for a position at the International Paralympic Committee Governing Board.
The IPC announced the names of the candidates who will stand for election on 8 September at the IPC General Assembly in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
A total of 29 nominations have been approved by the IPC for the 12 positions available within the IPC Governing Board.
There are four candidates aiming to succeed Sir Philip Craven as the IPC President: Patrick Jarvis, Andrew Parsons, John Petersson and Haidi Zhang, the first female to ever bid for this role. Three people are standing for the role of Vice President: Duane Kale, John Petersson and Majid Rashed.
22 candidates have been nominated for Member at Large positions, with 10 of them to be elected next September. The nominees are:
• Debra Alexander (RSA – ITU)
• Mohammed Alhameli (UAE – NPC UAE)
• Anne d’Ieteren (BEL – NPC Belgium)
• Marianna “Muffy” Davis (USA – NPC USA)
• Rita van Driel (NED – NPC Netherlands)
• Hamid El Aouni (MAR – NPC Morocco)
• Duane Kale (NZL – NPC New Zealand)
• Sung Il Kim (KOR – NPC Korea)
• Luca Pancalli (ITA – NPC Italy)
• Leonel da Rocha Pinto (ANG – African Paralympic Committee)
• Karl Quade (GER – NPC Germany)
• Majid Rashed (UAE – Asian Paralympic Committee)
• Tim Reddish (GBR – NPC Great Britain)
• Juan Pablo Salazar (COL – NPC Colombia)
• László Szabó (HUN – NPC Hungary)
• Imran Shani (PAK – NPC Pakistan)
• Rao Inderjit Singh (IND – NPC India)
• Robyn Smith (AUS - INAS)
• Joe Walsh (USA – IBSA)
• Kevin Wong (SGP – NPC Singapore)
• Yasushi Yamawaki (JPN – NPC Japan)
• Jia Yong (CHN – NPC China)
All nominee applications have been reviewed by the IPC Credentials Commission against the criteria and conditions for nominations in accordance with the IPC rules and regulations. On 6 September each candidate will have the opportunity to make a presentation on their candidature to the IPC membership attending the IPC General Assembly in Abu Dhabi.
About Debra Alexander
Debra Alexander was elected as SASCOC Board Member in 2016 and former Head of the Clinical Psychology Department as well as an extraordinary senior lecturer in the Department of Psychiatry and now has a private practice.
Since 2012, Debra has held the role of ITU Executive Board Member as well as African Triathlon Union (ATU) Executive Board Member and first Vice President. In 2009 she was elected President of the National Federation of Triathlon South Africa, then in 2015 she was appointed South African Sports Commission and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) Medical and Anti-Doping Commission (2009-2012 and 2015- 2016), SASCOC Board Member as well as a member of the National Olympic and Paralympic Committee.