The great news regarding ITU’s World Triathlon Series races just keeps rolling in. An independent report submitted to Triathlon New Zealand and the local organising committee found the Barfoot & Thompson ITU World Triathlon Grand Final exceeded targets in the economic returns to Auckland and New Zealand.
The event attracted a record 5,208 participants and a global audience estimated to be in excess of 25 million. In a post event survey, those who competed and watched live on course endorsed the event as being of ‘world class standard’.
Event CEO Dave Beeche said the report confirms the economic value of such an event to the city and the country.
ATEED General Manager Destination (Acting), Jennah Wootten congratulated the local organising committee on the successful management and delivery of the Barfoot & Thompson World Triathlon Grand Final Auckland.
“This is an excellent result and return on investment for Auckland and testament to the combined effort that an event of this scale requires not only from the event itself but also from businesses, residents and regional agencies,” Ms Wootten said.
Economic Impact report findings reveal that the Barfoot & Thompson World Triathlon Grand Final Auckland 2012 generated $7.41 million into the Auckland economy.
Highlights in the report include:
• The event attracted 5,318 visitors to NZ and 10,004 visitors to Auckland
• Average stay in New Zealand for international visitors was 11 nights, indicating that many travelled more widely after the event. The total number of visitor nights was 57,872
• Average stay in Auckland for international visitors was 5.6 nights. Total number of visitor nights in Auckland was 55,592
• Generated $12.48 million GDP for NZ
• Generated $7.4 million GDP for Auckland (forecast was $6.9 million)
• Return on national investment was 307%
Most files from Triathlon New Zealand and the Grand Final local organising committee
|Results: Elite Men|
|1.||Javier Gomez Noya||ESP||02:00:29|
|Results: U23 Men|
|4.||Pierre Le Corre||FRA||01:57:29|
|Results: Junior Men|
|Results: Paratriathlon Male TRI-1|
|1.||Bill Chaffey H2||AUS||00:57:20|
|3.||Geoffrey Kennedy H1||USA||01:00:33|
|5.||Fernando Aranha H2||BRA||01:00:41|
|Results: Paratriathlon Male TRI-2|