Significant Changes to Paratriathlon Rules
The ITU has adopted a number of Paratriathlon rule changes. The rules changes are required in preparation for submission of ITU documents to the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) in the months ahead. Highlights of the rule changes include:
- All TRI1 Paratriathletes required to handcycle in the recumbent position
- All TRI6 visually impaired Paratriathletes shall wear blackout glasses for the run
- All TRI1 Paratriathletes shall have their legs bound together for the swim portion
- Tricycle specification are defined for TRI3 athletes who require tricycles
- Compulsory Paratriathlete briefing meeting
There are a number of additional Paratriathon rule changes. The updated Paratriathlon rules can be found within the ITU Competition Rules at triathlon.org under INSIDE ITU and DOCUMENTS. Section 16 of the Rules is specific to Paratriathlon.
“While some of the rule changes were adopted to update the rules to current practices, other rule changes were required to ensure a level playing field for all Paratriathletes within a category” commented ITU Paratriathlon chair, Grant Darby. “These rule changes will strengthen our application to the IPC for inclusion for the 2016 Paralympics” added Darby.
National Federations are urged to share this information with their Paratriathletes as soon as possible.