Athlete Year of Birth: 1986
Athlete Place of Birth: Wisconsin, USA
Athlete Weight: 55kg
Athlete Height: 177cm
Athlete Lives: United States
WTS Ranking: 1 5200pts
ITU Points List:: 1 7541.69pts
Jorgensen attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where she swam and ran for the Badgers. She earned a master’s degree in accounting, passed the CPA exam, and worked for Ernst & Young in Milwaukee as a tax accountant. Soon after graduating and beginning her new job, USA Triathlon, who was pursuing former college swimmers and runners, encouraged Jorgensen to enter the sport of triathlon. In 2010, she was selected as USA Triathlon’s Rookie of the year following her silver medal at the World University Triathlon Championships in Spain.
At the 2011 World Championship Series in London, Jorgensen placed 2nd which earned her a spot on the 2012 US Olympic triathlon team. In the London Olympics she suffered a flat tire on the bike portion of the race and would finish in 38th place.
There are so many statistics for Gwen that could be mentioned, but here are just a few highlights which help put her exceptional performances into context:
• Unbeaten in seven WTS starts in 2015.
• Recorded the fastest run split in all seven of those races.
• The first woman to win the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final twice since its introduction in 2009.
• The first U.S. athlete, male or female, to defend the ITU World Triathlon Championship title.
• Joins Karen Smyers, (1990 and 1995), as the only U.S. athlete to be crowned ITU World Triathlon Champion on two occasions.
• The most career World Triathlon Series wins (15).
• The most career World Triathlon Series podium finishes (18), achieved from 31 starts.
• Only the fourth woman (joining Michellie Jones, Emma Snowsill and Emma Moffatt), to win back-to-back ITU World Championship titles.
With the Rio 2016 Olympic Games less than one year away, Gwen Jorgensen will surely start next year as the clear favourite to add Olympic Gold to her two World Championship titles.
Athlete Sponsors: Holowesko - Specialized - HED Wheels - NYAC - David Hobbs Honda - ROKA - Asics - Red Bull - Oakley - Do Naturals
Athlete Language: English
Athlete Tri Entry Year: 2010
Athlete Education: University of Wisconsin, Madison
Athlete Hobbies: Cooking, anything related to food, xc skiing, mtn biking, yelp lover
Athlete Coach: Jamie Turner