ITU announces the 2018 ITU WTS, World Cup and Paratriathlon calendar19 Sep, 2017
Paratriathletes collect first Rotterdam World Champ Titles15 Sep, 2017
All the World Championship chatter ahead of #RotterdamGF14 Sep, 2017
Paratriathlon World Titles up for grabs in Rotterdam13 Sep, 2017
ITU Board Member Dr. Debra Alexander, elected to the IPC Governing Board08 Sep, 2017
Your video is loading. If the video fails to load please upgrade your Flash player
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
The IPC announced today the medal events programme and athlete quotas for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. The...Sep 04, 2017
While the 2017 Penticton ITU Multisport World Championships allow athletes from all over the world to...Aug 22, 2017
A run, bike, run course will crown the first round of World Champion athletes as duathlon opens up the 2017...Aug 18, 2017
The International Triathlon Union (ITU) is pleased to announce that it has opened bidding for the 2018 ITU...Aug 01, 2017
Finland’s Liisa Lilja was victorious at the final World Paratriathlon Series event of the season in...Jul 31, 2017
Finland’s Liisa Lilja is hoping to break the USA’s dominance in the women’s PTS2 category when she...Jul 27, 2017
As the sixth installment of the World Triathlon Series is about to get underway in Edmonton, some athletes got...Jul 25, 2017
Canada’s Stefan Daniel tested his form at his first Paratriathlon race of the season, as he took on the ITU...Jul 16, 2017
Ten months after winning silver at the Paralympic Games, Canada’s Stefan Daniel is stepping up his...Jul 13, 2017
Four European champions continued their good form at the Iseo-Franciacorta ITU Paratriathlon World Cup this...Jul 10, 2017
2017 ITU Paratriathlon World Championships15 Sep, 2017
ITU World Paratriathlon Series Yokohama 201713 May, 2017
2017 Gold Coast ITU World Paratriathlon Series08 Apr, 2017
ITU Rotterdam Grand Final 2017 Promo23 Dec, 2016