British, US Para triathletes top Yokohama podiumMay 15, 2017
Jade Jones swaps the track for triathlon in YokohamaMay 10, 2017
Australian Paratriathletes shine in Gold CoastApr 08, 2017
Friendship put aside as Pilbeam, Harvey renew rivalry in #WTSGoldCoastApr 04, 2017
ParaTri season starts with Rio 2016 Paralympic Champions claiming victoriesMar 14, 2017
Your video is loading. If the video fails to load please upgrade your Flash player
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
The 2016 World Triathlon Series was an unforgettable year. Twelve different men and women stood on top of the...Feb 01, 2017
ITU is pleased to announce the 2017 paratriathlon classification opportunities for athletes at several ITU...Dec 19, 2016
Markus Häusling - a sad farewell There is never the “right time to say goodbye”. There is, however,...Dec 19, 2016
The International Triathlon Union (ITU) has opened bidding for the 2017 ITU World Paratriathlon Events (WPE)...Sep 26, 2016
On September 11, the fastest women from paratriathlon will take to Copacabana Beach as the first edition of...Sep 08, 2016
The men’s paratriathlon Paralympic races kick off a cornerstone moment for triathlon as they will be the first...Sep 08, 2016
On September 10-11, paratriathlon will debut at the Paralympic Games with the men’s PT1, PT2 & PT4 sport...Aug 03, 2016
With paratriathlon set to debut at the Paralympics September 10-11 just days before the Grand Final, the...Jul 24, 2016
This weekend, the world’s best paratriathletes will gather in Rotterdam to race for the chance to call...Jul 20, 2016
ITU is proud to announce that 17 paratriathletes from 11 National Federations have been selected by the ITU...Jul 08, 2016
ITU World Paratriathlon Series Yokohama 201713 May, 2017
2017 Gold Coast ITU World Paratriathlon Series08 Apr, 2017
ITU Rotterdam Grand Final 2017 Promo23 Dec, 2016