What to Expect in the 2017 WTS SeasonFeb 01, 2017
ITU announces Paratriathlon classification opportunities for 2017Dec 19, 2016
Beloved paratriathlete Markus Häusling passes awayDec 19, 2016
ITU opens bidding for 2017 World Paratriathlon EventsSep 26, 2016
Paratriathlon women’s Paralympic previewSep 08, 2016
Your video is loading. If the video fails to load please upgrade your Flash player
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
The men’s paratriathlon Paralympic races kick off a cornerstone moment for triathlon as they will be the first...Sep 08, 2016
On September 10-11, paratriathlon will debut at the Paralympic Games with the men’s PT1, PT2 & PT4 sport...Aug 03, 2016
With paratriathlon set to debut at the Paralympics September 10-11 just days before the Grand Final, the...Jul 24, 2016
This weekend, the world’s best paratriathletes will gather in Rotterdam to race for the chance to call...Jul 20, 2016
ITU is proud to announce that 17 paratriathletes from 11 National Federations have been selected by the ITU...Jul 08, 2016
ITU is pleased to confirm the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Series (WTS) calendar, as well as the opening of bids...Jun 24, 2016
While qualification for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Paralympic Games officially ends June 30, the final race of...Jun 22, 2016
The last World Para Triathlon Event (WPE) of the season turned into a duathlon after the swimming segment was...Jun 20, 2016
By Megan Mindel | For the IPC The sixth and final World Para Triathlon Event (WPE) of the year will commence...Jun 18, 2016
ITU today named Lausanne as the host city for the 31st edition of the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in 2019....Jun 14, 2016
ITU Rotterdam Grand Final 2017 Promo23 Dec, 2016
What is Paratriathlon08 Sep, 2016
Rio 2016 Paralympics Bill Chaffey Interview08 Sep, 2016