New Plymouth will again play host to an ITU World Cup Triathlon, with confirmation that the Quality Hotel Plymouth International ITU World Cup race will be hosted in the city on April 2nd 2017.
The event dubbed ‘Sprint by the Mountain’ was confirmed by the ITU with the release of their international calendar and is made possible with the ongoing support of Quality Hotel Plymouth International, Venture Taranaki, Port Taranaki and TSB Community Trust.
It is another boost for a region that continues to enhance its reputation as a welcoming, vibrant and exciting region for domestic and international visitors.
“Lonely Planet has judged Taranaki the second best region in the world to visit in 2017, and this event contributes to the community’s vibrancy and energy that was praised by the award,” said Venture Taranaki Chief Executive Stuart Trundle.
Friday, March, 31st
08:45 Elite cycle course orientation. One lap of cycle course with Police escort, departing from Ngamotu Beach/transition area.
10:00 – 10.45 Swim course familiarisation with life guard support
17:30 Elite athlete registration at Quality Hotel Plymouth International
18:00 Elite athlete briefing at Quality Hotel Plymouth International
18:30 Elite athlete race pack pickup following briefing
19:00 Pasta Party
Sunday April, 2nd
ITU Elite Women Race Program
09:30 Athlete’s lounge ready for Elite Women
09:30 – 10:30 Elite women check in and registration at Athletes lounge
09:45 - 10:45 Transition Area open for Elite Woman
10:15 - 10:45 Swim warm up for Elite Woman
10:50 Elite Women athlete assembly and introduction in front of Finish Gantry
11:00 Elite Women Race Start
12:15 Estimated course clear of athletes
14:10 Elite Women medal presentations (following Elite Men’s race)
Sunday April, 2nd
ITU Elite Men Race Program
11:15 Athlete’s lounge ready for Elite Men
11:15 - 12:30 Elite Men check in and registration at Athletes lounge
12:15 - 12:45 Transition open for Elite Men
12:15 - 12:45 Swim warm up Elite men
12:50 Elite Men athlete assembly and introductions in front of Finish Gantry
13:00 Elite Men’s Race Start
14:10 Elite Women Medal Presentations
14:20 Elite Men Medal Presentations
19:00 Sunday night social Quality Hotel Plymouth International
Please see event website for full details of the schedule and athlete guide
Closest Airport - plus Special Note re BIKES
Auckland International Airport then onto New Plymouth
Auckland – New Plymouth Airport (35 minute flight)
Transportation of BIKES -
Via overnight TRUCK to Auckland evening of Sunday 2nd April (Post Race)
New Plymouth event organisers are pleased to assist those racing the WTS Gold Coast event (following weekend) with additional bike transport support/offer.
To guarantee that your bike gets out of New Plymouth to Auckland International Airport we are providing the following “for athletes racing in the Gold Coast WTS” event at NO charge.
Please Note the following instructions/conditions:
THE ONLY BIKES TO GO ON THIS TRUCK - ARE FOR THOSE COMPETING AT GOLD COAST WTS FOLLOWING WEEKEND
1. Bikes to be loaded onto TRUCK at Quality Hotel at 8.00pm Sunday 2nd April, no later. Bike owner to assist with loading bike onto truck – Bike transported at owners risk.
2. Bikes will be unloaded at Auckland International Airport by 8.00am on Monday 3rd April. Two people will look after the bikes until all have been up lifted.
3. Athletes using this service:
• On leaving New Plymouth airport only check in your flight to Auckland, as you will need to collect your bike that has been overnight trucked up to Auckland.
• On arrival into Auckland domestic airport you then need to collect any baggage that you may have checked in at New Plymouth. Then proceed to the International airport approx. 10 minute walk or you can take a free bus
• Up lift bike which will be waiting for you at a pre-determined site within the International terminal (Note: Information re this collection point will be given to you in New Plymouth)
• One you have picked up your bike then continue on and check into your onward flight to Gold coast i.e. including your bike
Any Questions re this service:
Please email Graham Park (New Plymouth Athlete support) and advise him if you wish to use this service
Graham Park: email@example.com or you can phone 021 1814216 (NZ).
Quality Hotel Plymouth International, Corner Courtenay & Leach Street.
Quality Hotel Plymouth 4 Star Qualmark Rated Hotel New Plymouth NZ
Free phone 0800 800 597, Fax 06 758 9949, Land Line 06 759 9128.
Some home stay is available on a first in first basis.
Please contact Ross Dingle: President of the Taranaki Triathlon Club - New Plymouth
Ross Dingle Bio Photo sq 125 Ross Dingle email: firstname.lastname@example.org