World Triathlon sanctions the Russian Triathlon Federation
World Triathlon’s Executive Board has decided to sanction the Russian Triathlon Federation due to the significant number of doping cases in Russia. The sanction will be effective for one year, and World Triathlon will review quarterly that these measures are being followed.
The sanctions approved by the Executive Board, consists of the following:
- The Russian Triathlon Federation will reach an agreement with RUSADA to test all Russian athletes, especially all those athletes who will be competing internationally.
- The Russian Triathlon Federation will, together with World Triathlon, create an education plan for Russian athletes and coaches in regard to doping issues.
- The Russian Triathlon Federation will compensate and refund the prize monies previously awarded to the Russian triathletes sanctioned with doping offences.
- Russian Triathlon Federation officials must resign from any World Triathlon and European bodies for the period of one year.
- The Russian Triathlon Federation cannot organise any World or European Triathlon events for one year (until the end of 2022).
- The Russian National Federation is to reimburse World Triathlon for all costs (including but not limited to laboratory fees, hearing expenses and travel) related to any of the violations of the Anti-Doping Rules committed by their athletes and coaches.
- Sanctions must be taken inside the Russian National Triathlon Federation for any coach or official that is involved in any doping violation, and collaboration must be made with World Triathlon disciplinary bodies.
World Triathlon is fully committed with the fight against any form of doping in the sport. As an unequivocal confirmation of its commitment to eradicating the use of prohibited substances and methods in triathlon, World Triathlon continues to commit time, effort, energy and a substantial budget to its anti-doping mission.
11:26 - 21 Oct, 2021