Stefan Daniel delights the home crowds with a victory in WPS Montreal28 Jun, 2019
World Paratriathlon Series heads to Montreal for third stop of 201926 Jun, 2019
Alexandre Paviza and Antoine Perel star at home in Besancon PWC18 Jun, 2019
Allysa Seely’s sixth straight success18 May, 2019
Your video is loading. If the video fails to load please upgrade your Flash player
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
Ideal conditions welcomed the paratriathletes to WPS Milan on Saturday afternoon, where the crowds assembled...Apr 27, 2019
The Italian city of Milan will make its debut as host of the World Paratriathlon Series on Saturday afternoon...Apr 24, 2019
The 2019 ITU season may already be well up and running, but ten days are set to provide race fans with an...Apr 23, 2019
Pontevedra set to follow in footsteps of Penticton and Fyn in hosting Multisport World ChampionshipsAs the Spanish town of Pontevedra gears up to host the third edition of the ITU Multisport World Championships...Apr 10, 2019
The 2019 World Paratriathlon Series gets underway in Milan at the end of April, the first of three stops...Mar 25, 2019
After the success of last years’ event, Devonport (Australia) is hosting the first of seven Paratriathlon...Mar 01, 2019
The International Triathlon Union has opened the bidding processes for the 2020 Paratriathlon World Series,...Feb 22, 2019
Swimming + biking + running = the perfect equation to fall in love, or at least for Triathletes it is! These...Feb 14, 2019
With the new year in full swing and anticipation for the 2019 Triathlon season building, it is time to take...Jan 31, 2019
World Paratriathlon Series in Yokohama20 May, 2019
2017 ITU Paratriathlon World Championships15 Sep, 2017
ITU World Paratriathlon Series Yokohama 201713 May, 2017