Spain dominates the Banyoles Paratriathlon World Cup08 Sep, 2019
Spanish stars headline home Paratriathlon World Cup05 Sep, 2019
2019 World Paratriathlon Champions crowned at Lausanne Grand Final01 Sep, 2019
Friendships put aside at Paratriathlon Worlds in Lausanne29 Aug, 2019
Your video is loading. If the video fails to load please upgrade your Flash player
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
Under the beating Tokyo summer sunshine, Saturday morning was the paratriathletes’ turn to sample the Odaiba...Aug 17, 2019
Tokyo hosts the latest stop on the 2019 Paratriathlon World Cup circuit on Saturday morning, with the races...Aug 12, 2019
The start times of the Tokyo Paratriathlon World Cup taking place on August 17th have been moved one hour...Aug 12, 2019
The world’s best Paratriathletesheaded to Canada this weekend for the Groupe Copley World Paratriathlon...Jun 28, 2019
The 2019 Groupe Copley World Paratriathlon Series Montreal gets underway on Friday morning as the best in the...Jun 26, 2019
Alexandre Paviza and Antoine Perel were among nine French medallists at their home Paratriathlon World Cup in...Jun 18, 2019
For the third stop of the 2019 World Triathlon Series the elite triathletes head to Japan once again to return...May 17, 2019
Ideal conditions welcomed the paratriathletes to WPS Milan on Saturday afternoon, where the crowds assembled...Apr 27, 2019
Tokyo Paratriathlon World Cup Highlights20 Aug, 2019
World Paratriathlon Series in Yokohama20 May, 2019
2017 ITU Paratriathlon World Championships15 Sep, 2017