Tartu hosts European Paratriathlon showdown19 Jul, 2018
Canada top home World Cup in Magog17 Jul, 2018
Marianne Hüche: Striving for greatness at #Fyn201804 Jul, 2018
British paratriathletes claim four gold medals in Iseo01 Jul, 2018
Your video is loading. If the video fails to load please upgrade your Flash player
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
Germany’s Martin Schulz is not going to hold anything back when he competes at the ITU Paratriathlon World...Jun 15, 2018
Britain’s elite paratriathletes won nine gold medals as Eton Dorney hosted an ITU Paratriathlon World Cup...May 29, 2018
International Paratriathlon kicks off two weeks of major triathlon events being hosted in Great Britain. This...May 25, 2018
Just a few days after claiming silver at the UCI Para-Cycling Road World Cup in Belgium, British...May 12, 2018
For the second year running, the best paratriathletes from around the world will compete in the ITU World...May 09, 2018
PTS3 world champion Daniel Molina was one of seven Spanish Paratriathletes to begin their season with wins at...May 07, 2018
Spain’s Daniel Molina is eager to pick up where he left off as he begins his season at the ITU...May 04, 2018
Paratriathlon made its official debut in the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, and the set up couldn’t be...Apr 07, 2018
With Gold Coast 2018 having the largest integrated Para-Sport program in Commonwealth Games history,...Apr 06, 2018
The second annual ITU Multisport World Championship Festival has officially hit the 100-day countdown before...Mar 28, 2018
2017 ITU Paratriathlon World Championships15 Sep, 2017
ITU World Paratriathlon Series Yokohama 201713 May, 2017
2017 Gold Coast ITU World Paratriathlon Series08 Apr, 2017
ITU Rotterdam Grand Final 2017 Promo23 Dec, 2016