EXTENDED APPLICATION UNTIL 10 JUNE 2015
The primary objective of the scholarship programme is to identify and provide support, resources and expertise to athletes from emerging/developing National Federations to compete at World Cup, World Triathlon Series and Olympic level.
• To increase the number of NF’s and athletes coming from emerging/developing NF’s competing at Continental Championships and ITU World Championships at U23 and Elite level.
• To increase the number of female athletes from emerging/developing NF’s represented at Continental Championships and ITU World Championships at U23 and Elite level.
Athletes selected for the scholarship programme will be carefully ‘placed’ in a programme commensurate with their specific needs in the interest of their progressive development to an elite level. Placements will vary in duration and form depending on the specific outline of the programme developed by the NF in conjunction with the ITU Development deemed to be conducive to the athlete’s development needs.
The target group will be athletes from emerging/developing National Federations who have already shown competence at a Continental Cup level and are looking to make the step up to top level training and racing but need the support in order to do so. These athletes should be seen as Olympic prospects (Rio 2016) by their National Federations. The athletes will be drawn primarily from U23 and Elite ranks, but junior athletes can also be considered as part of the next generation for the future (Tokyo 2020).
Athletes need to be registered with their National Federations and have shown the ability to race at a high standard in Continental Cup race or World Cup level competition. The athletes nominated should be committed to competing in the long term and have the Olympic Games as an ultimate objective.
The following criteria will be considered by the ITU Development in the selection process:
• Top 5 placing at Continental Championship in Elite, U23 or Junior category in the past two years among the developing/emerging NFs.
• Must be from a country regarded as an emerging/developing country. All applications will be considered in conjunction with a strong endorsement from the athlete’s NF’s and Continental Federations.
• National Federations applying for the grants must apply for Olympic Solidarity Funding under the 2016 Rio Athlete Scholarship Programme. (If you need any help on the OS Scholarship Application please contact ITU Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
The applications should be submitted to the ITU Development
no later than Friday 15th May 2015. PLEASE NOTE: THE CLOSING DATE OF THE APPLICATIONS HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL WEDNESDAY 10th JUNE, 2015. Successful applicants will be informed by 1st July 2015 which time the ITU Development and appointed officers will coordinate the plans with the successful athletes and the NF.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications MUST be submitted by the National Federations.
Successful applicants will receive the following:
• An invitation to an ITU Development Camp or EADP opportunity held under the auspices of the ITU or another camp opportunity as determined by ITU and the respective NF.
• The amount of funding allocated to each athlete and his/her coach will depend on the matching funds obtained by the NF from Olympic Solidarity grants and to the programme outline submitted by the NF for each candidate.
Evaluation and Requirements of Recipients
The athletes selected will be tracked for the duration of the placement and monthly reports will be required from the candidates and their personal coaches.
Athletes who receive an ITU Scholarship will be required to compete in the Continental Championship and the ITU World Championship in the year of receiving the scholarship and the year after that and make themselves available for any other National Team Commitments as required by the National Federation.
All recipients must make themselves available (within reason and without interfering with the athletes training, racing and school commitments) for interviews and photo sessions to promote the programme in their own country and internationally.
All recipients must either organise or be involved in a Community or Youth Triathlon Project within their home NF within their scholarship year and submit a detailed report to ITU Development within 2 weeks of the project taking place.
Definition and Explanation of National Federation Status
For the purpose of the ITU Development (Athlete and Coaching) we have categorized National Federations into three (3) categories:
Olympic NF’s are those NF’s who had at least two competitors at the London Olympics
Emerging NF’s are those NF’s with only one or no competitors at the London Olympics but have some representation at the World Triathlon Grand Final in the Elite, U/23 or Junior Categories over the past two years.
Developing NF’s are those NF’s with no representation at the World Triathlon Grand Final in the Elite, U/23 and Junior Categories in the past two years.
The Athlete and Coaching Development Programme specifically targets Emerging and Developing NF’s.
Please note the closing deadline for the applications: Friday 15th MAY, 2015.
PLEASE NOTE: THE EXTENDED DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: WEDNESDAY 10th JUNE 2015
For the application form, please click here.
Richard Varga offers some tips on swimming28 Jun, 2017
Fernando Alarza cooks with chef Javier Olleros25 May, 2017
The growth of triathlon12 May, 2017
ITU Coaching Education13 Mar, 2017